Dance Parade promotes dance through the celebration of diversity by presenting as many forms of dance as possible. We believe that live performance has the potential to awaken a communal human spirit and helps build a more equitable and vibrant society.
Job Description: Curatorial Committee Member - Dance Parade NY
Job Title: Curatorial Committee Members for the 18th Annual Dance Parade & Festival
Event Date: Saturday, May 18, 2024
Job Type: Part-Time, Contract
Location: New York City, NY
Summary: The 18th Annual Dance Parade & Festival is seeking five dedicated and experienced dance professionals to join the Curatorial Committee. This committee will play a crucial role in the success of the parade and festival by recruiting and selecting parade groups, reviewing their video submissions, and coordinating their participation in the event. Committee members will be responsible for managing various aspects of the parade and festival, working with selected groups, and ensuring their compliance with event requirements.
- Recruitment and Selection:
- Pre-select and invite 25 to 50 parade groups to participate in the event
- Initiate the recruitment process for parade groups who will perform a moving choreography during the parade and at the Grand Stand in Astor Place.
- Communication and Coordination:
- Send out two official invitation emails to pre-selected parade groups.
- Set artist fees for each group and negotiate contractual terms
- Offer additional benefits to pre-selected groups, including scholarship fee waivers and discounts on parade floats and sound pods.
- Ensure that pre-selected groups meet social media posting requirements as specified in their booking contracts.
- New Groups: Review video submissions from dance groups interested in participating in the parade and festival.
- Scheduling and Coordination:
- Collaborate with parade groups to confirm their step-off times in the parade and performance times at DanceFest in Tompkins Square Park.
- Maintain open and effective communication with participating groups to address any concerns or questions
- Work with Curation Committee to have at least one Curatorial Committee Member at monthly Parade Group Coordinators ("PGC") Meetings January to April
Payment and Compensation:
Curatorial Committee members will be compensated commensurate with their experience and expertise in the field of dance.
- A strong background in dance, with experience in curating and selecting performance groups.
Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple parade groups and schedules.
- Familiarity with social media platforms for compliance checks.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- A passion for the arts and a dedication to promoting dance in the community.
The Curatorial Committee's responsibilities will begin at the opening of parade registration on November 1, 2023, and continue until the conclusion of the event on May 18, 2024. The time commitment will vary but is expected to be part-time.
If you are an experienced dance professional with a passion for curating and organizing dance events, we invite you to join our Curatorial Committee and help make the 18th Annual Dance Parade & Festival a memorable and vibrant celebration of dance in New York City. Please submit your resume and a cover letter detailing your relevant experience and why you are interested in this role to Executive Director, Greg Miller: email@example.com