Your Guide to ONE BILLION RISING NYC!
New York City will be a hub of activity for ONE BILLION RISING on February 14, 2013, with New Yorkers rising across every borough to express their outrage at the injustices that women have suffered. From the offices of MTV to the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine to the greens of Central Park, ONE BILLION RISING will electrify New York City on February 14.
* Members of The Dance Parade NYC Community are urged to wear BLACK and RED on @V-day to show our support and make finding one another in the crowds easier. We hope to see you somewhere on V-Day STRIKING, DANCING and RISING!
From February 19th to March 2nd, VirtualArts.TV is hosting the first EVER live-streamed arts fesitval called “WiredArts!.” As a precursor to this ground-breaking event, we’re hosting a One Billion Rising event in our space.
On February 14th, VirtualArts will live-stream two and a half hours of non-stop song and dance, featuring the likes of the Mari Meade Dance Collective, Dance Parade, and many others.
For more information, please contact Bee Walsh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Time:||Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM EST|
- RISE NYC, V-Day will host a ONE BILLION RISING finale celebration at the Hammerstein Ballroom in Manhattan, where Eve Ensler performed The Vagina Monologues and launched a global movement on Valentine’s Day 1998. This evening will feature appearances by V-Day board members Rosario Dawson and Donna Karan, V-Day supporters Glenn Closeand Kathy Najimy, as well as performances by Maya Azucena, BETTY, Suheir Hammad, Morley, DJ Beverly Bond, Hesta Prynn, DJ Spinna, and more. The free party will be a celebration of the rising across the world. For more information and to get tickets:www.onebillionrising.org/risenyc
- ABC Carpet & Home, In solidarity with V-Day, the iconic Broadway windows will be used as a stage for expressive dance performances choreographed in alignment with One Billion Rising’s mission. Starting at 2:30 pm, practices in belly dance, shrink session, modern dance and hip hop, will transform these windows to raise awareness and inspire critical change in our community, with a special 8pm session from the 5Rhythms NYC dance studio.
- Rising on the Brooklyn Bridge, Dancing Across the bridge from Manhattan to Brooklyn, meet at 12 Fulton Street, 8:00 AM.
- STEPS To End Family Violence, flash mob and assembly risings in honor of incarcerated women survivors of sexual violence, Harry S. Truman High School, Bedford Hills Correctional Facility, and Rikers Island Correctional Initiation for Women.
- Harlem Rising, 215 W 125th Street, New York, NY, 2nd Floor, 12:00-4:00 PM. (Casa Frela Gallery and EmblemHealth Care)
- Dance and Rise NYC Flash Mob, Central Park, 12:30 – 1:30 PM. (Kinesis Project dance theatre and Dancing Flash Mobs NYC)
- Washington Square Park One Billion Rising Flash Mob, Dance to One Billion Rising Anthem, “Break The Chain,” Washington Square Park, 2:14 PM.
- 2:14pm Walk Out In Times Square, Join staff from MTV and Amnesty International as they walk out of their offices and RISE in solidarity for women and girls everywhere!
- Spirit Freedom Rising, Prospect Park, Long Meadow, Brooklyn, 4:00-7:00 PM.
- One Billion Rising at the Nuyorican Poets Café, 236 E 3rd Street, New York, NY 10009, 5-7:00 PM.
- Union Square Flash Mob, 400+ attendees at Union Square, starting at 6:00PM.