DanceFest In addition to performance opportunities available at our organizations socials and fundraisers, we offer multiple dance performance opportunities at our annual DanceFest.
Immediately following the Dance Parade, DanceFest occurs in Tompkins Square Park between Avenues A & B and between 7th and 10th streets in New York’s East Village. We will have 4 performance stages, a social dance area and multiple site-specific performances throughout the park.
Selection Process for DanceFest: DanceFest is a curated event. Performers who have participated in Dance Parade are eligible to participate by indicating their desire to participate through the registration for Dance Parade form online. All eligible groups will then be contacted through our DanceFest Curation Committee. The team will then reach out, qualify and invite groups to participate based on the DanceFest themes. Groups are selected for artistic excellence as well as by their ability to present diverse performances of unique dance genres.
Tompkins Square Park, the destination of the parade at Avenue A and Saint Marks Place, comes alive with choreographed performances, workshops and social dance–all free to the public. There will be 4 stages: A Performance Stage, Family Friendly Stage and Teaching Stage. A social dance / party area will rock out in the Northeast Corner of the Park!
As Dance Parade is for hobbyist and professional dancers alike, the post parade festival “DanceFest” is a curated event from the “best of the parade”. DanceFest is comprised of both professional and pre-professional dance artists/groups who come from various backgrounds, styles, ages, and experience.
When you register for the parade you can also submit your festival information at the same time allowing the entire team to review together.
What you need to know & expect the day of and before:
1) No payment is currently made to performing soloists or groups
2) Expressing your interest to perform does not guarantee a slot.
3) You must be a part of the parade in order to participate in the festival. Parade is from a 10am call-in time & ends at the park around 3pm. Performances start at 3:15pm & conclude by 7pm sharp! Yes, it’s a long day & we thank you for your commitment!
4) While we attempt to cater to your needs, once you are informed that you have been selected to perform (usually, notified in early/ mid April, exact date, TBA), please make certain that your entire troupe is available for the entire day as exact time schedule will not be disclosed till all groups have reconfirmed their participation.
5) If your group was selected to perform last year & you did not show up, you will not be invited this year. No exceptions!
We do provide water but it is greatly advised that you make sure both you & your dancers have hydration & food on hand (or can always purchase outside the park). The bathrooms are in the park & we do not have changing areas. Also, since its a daytime event, there are no lights or tech rehearsal so do keep this in mind when selecting your dance(s). We have three stages (possibly four). You and your group will need to arrive to the designated stage area (you will know which in advance) fifteen minutes prior to showtime. Please, do not have us looking for you & do make certain that when you set your accounts up during registration, that you also provide your cell phone number in the case we do need to connect with you the day of.
Thank you so much for your interest and contributing your dance to DanceFest!